Monday, August 21, 2006

Wild Flowers of Eastern Canada.

I’ve had an idea for a « project » for a couple of months now, and I figured out how I was going to go about it when we returned from the cottage. My project is entitled Wild Flowers of Eastern Canada. Why the pompous title? It’s the title of the book I’m ripping the pages out of. Yes – you read right. I manage a library, yet I rip pages out if books. That’s okay, no need to panic. This book was being discarded. It was falling apart. It has a big blue “withdrawn” stamp on the title page. So I saved it. This book is now part of my small recycling project.

Now that we know no one will report me for defacing public property, on to the project. My first step was to choose the pictures of, well, wild flowers of Eastern Canada that I thought were the prettiest. They are all nice, being delicate 2 ½ by 4 inch paintings of said flowers, but some actually look better. That’s how far I’ve gotten in the actual project so far. I’ve got two piles: the yes pile (containing 16 paintings) and the maybe pile (containing 14 paintings). In my yes pile, I’ve got interesting flowers like Canada Lily, Fireweed, Chicory, Pitcher Plant, and Hedge Bindweed…just to name a few of the prettiest.

The idea, as you might have gathered, is to ‘mount’ the paintings onto pretty paper and stick them into glass frames. I’ve already paid a visit to my favorite art supplies shop and got all my materials: glass picture frames and pretty paper for the ‘mount’ around the pictures. All I need to do now I make up my mind on how many frames I want and cut around the paintings. Problem is, I’ve got room for ten paintings in my glass frames. How to choose? Have a lottery? Spend a lot of time staring at them? Throw them in the air and see which ones land closest to me? I don’t know. And it’s funny that something so trivial is actually keeping me from actually starting this project. I should just get more frames. That way I could frame all 30 of them. Heehee. Yeah that sounds about right. And if there are too many frames and not enough room for them, I’ll give some away.

Now – how do I get the Matrix posters to magically disappear from the living room without my husband noticing? Hmmm…yet another obstacle. Challenging! I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. problem number one: lay all the pictures out and pull one of each pair that looks really similar, so that you have ten really different ones.

    problem number two: your husband leaves the house for work, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tortaluga! you are hired! you are now my official problem-solver!
    thanks for the great ideas... ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.