Saturday, August 19, 2006

Three Observations and One Bottom Line.

Good morning! It is a beautiful day out there today. The sun is shining, the birds were chirping a minute ago (which is why I am awake) and …I am going to stay inside all day. Which is not dramatic, but slightly unpleasant. Why will I be staying inside, you ask? Because of my generosity. Now do not get me wrong, avid reader: the following comments are in no way directed to the recipient of my generosity. She is a sweet girl, and has been a good friend for many years. They are directed at me.

First Observation: I Am Generous with my Friends and Loved Ones.

This is good. This makes me a Good Person. And it is purely altruistic, too. I am not doing this for profit or recognition. I have learned (apparently not quite) that being generous sometimes leads to selflessness (I think this is the proper use for this term). Selflessness is also a good character trait, but in healthy doses. To cut to the chase, selflessness often makes me accept to help someone with a task and completely forget myself in the process. Which leads us to the Second Observation.

Second Observation: There is Such a Thing as Equivalence of Things.

Abstract as this may seem, it is true. Concrete example for you: usually (unless you’re being had), four quarters equal a whole dollar. That is equivalence. In French this is a common saying: échanger quatre trente sous pour une piastre. Very often, I’ll give you two bucks for your four quarters. I’ll give more than what you’re asking for. I am sure this resides in the fact I want people to appreciate me, I’ve been given the lecture quite often enough, thank you. The point is, I’ve done it again. Which leads us to…Observation Number Three.

Third Observation: It’s the Fucking Weekend.

I know I am not working right now. I know I am at home doing housewifey things. But I still have a concept of what is a weekday, and what is a weekend. And today, unless some evil gnome has fucked around with my calendar, it’s Saturday. I don’t work weekends. One could argue helping out a friend is technically not work. It’s helping out a friend. I agree wholeheartedly. I am feeling guilty bitching about helping her out, I assure you. But this post also a tricksy way for me to procrastinate, which I am the Queen of. I think having a baby will probably give me a couple of reality checks in that department…Which leads me to my Bottom Line.

My Bottom Line:

Because of my generosity, I have accepted to help out a friend with a pretty hefty translation job (i.e. translate it for her) that is due Monday morning and I should have better evaluated the time it would take and now I know I will spend the whole weekend in front of my computer. Oh – and I’m not a translator. Oh – and I’m not working on it right now. I am posting this. I am a terrible person. Okay, maybe not terrible. Just a procrastinator. I don’t like being a procrastinator. Okay – I’m getting to work now.


Phew! That was therapeutic! Thanks for bearing with me.

...I hope it rains. That would help.

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog, Miss C. because I like your sense of humor, your writing, your no-nonsense approach and...I can relate to you somehow. Tu m'es sympathique. So there :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.