Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Should Telepaths and Mind-Readers Be Legal?

At first I was just sitting there on the bus after work, going home, tired, next to this girl I don't know. We were making slow progress towards my getting home, having a glass of wine and taking it easy.

And then I realized that guy that was sitting across the aisle and two seats back was probably a student at my previous workplace, and that was the reason he looked so familiar. I was happy about (sort of) identifying him, because I always see him on the bus and wonder time after time why he looks so familiar.

Then something happened in my brain. Unsollicited, although not altogether disagreeable. But just the fact it happened started a whole chain of thought that prompted me to write this post.
Check it out: I could hear this very clearly in my head, music and all.

Don't just stand there let's get to it
Strike a pose there's nothing to it
Vogue (piano thingee)


That in itself was ok. I love Madonna. What was not ok was that my brain decided to loop it. So it started playing over and over - yes, just that little bit - in my head and I could not escape it. I decided to give in, and considered listening to the song when I would get home 10 minutes later just to get rid of it. That's what I usually do when I get unsollicited brain music. I listen to the song and it goes away.

That is when the weird thing happened. I started hoping the girl sitting next to me or other people on the bus were not mind-readers, because they would think I was completely off my rocker, looping Vogue in my mind. Then I thought maybe there were two kinds of people: some who could drop into anyone's brain at will and have a listen, and others who would just catch random brain noises people around them were making. I started hoping the mind-reader on the bus was one of the latter, so I could not be identified. Then it was my stop, and I happily noticed the song was gone. Then, I thought to myself 'This is one for the blog'.

And to think there are some days where I find myself too normal. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.