Monday, October 11, 2010

Maddies.

It was eight-thirty on Saturday morning. I was looking forward to the evening 's celebration of The Man's birthday. We celebrated it three times, this year, because he turned thirty-three. We didn't really plan it that way, to be honest, it just kind of happened. So there I was, sitting in front of the PC, trying to figure out what to serve with ze apéro. I had almond-stuffed queen olives and pretzels, but I needed something homemade to go with the stuffed mushrooms I was about to make. Two of our friends were bringing champagne, imported directly - via suitcase - from France. And I stumbled upon a recipe which, lo and behold, required ingredients which I already had in the pantry and fridge. Well, almost all the ingredients. Behold - the madeleines aux herbes!

Wait. Before I proceed, a disclaimer:

I have a camera now. That, my Loverlies, means that I take pictures of absolutely everything. And since 2005, when I started blogging, I promised myself that when I got a camera, I would  post pictures of food, knitting and flowers. And cats, obviously. So tough luck for you, you must suffer through the pictures. They are part of my art. Disclaimer over.

Where was I? Ah yes. Behold - the madeleines!







I had never made madeleines. I had never eaten madeleines. How adventurous am I, right? To make something you've never tasted! Oh, the boldness! The courage! The sheer nerve!


I had heard about them, of course, and was intrigued when Ross flaunted his mad madeleine-making skills on Friends. I even own a madeleine baking mold, but have been pushing it back in the cupboard because I was scared of it. I thought, for some reason, that they were very difficult to make. Well, I have succeeded, and the result is moist, browned to perfection, and I must specify, this is a savory version of the more classic, usually sweet little cake. The result was perfect, if I may say so myself, even if I had to substitute a few ingredients. The recipe is on http://www.ricardocuisine.com. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:01 pm

    That's the recipe you talked about in the message you left on my answering machine!!!
    By the way I am really sorry for not calling you back. I have no excuse. But I am sure you will pardon me because you luuuuuuve me :) and because I can be so cute...

    Your madeleines look like some magical clouds... yeah that sounds weird...in fact that sounds better in my head (in french)...

    You don't tell us which ingredients you substituated...

    WE WANT TO KNOW YOUR SECRET!

    Miss u & luv u

    The girl who wants to speak english...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous:
    Okay, that's it. You've been stalking me. Admit it.

    Here's what's up with the maddies.

    First, yes: this is what I was blabbering about excitedly on your answering machine.
    Second: you are entitled to use your phone as you wish. It's your phone.
    Third: the maddies DO look like little magical clouds, don't they? Just so you know, they also taste like magical clouds. And you will not be the judge of what sounds better in your head. I order you to say everything that pops into your mind (except if it's to diss the maddies)!
    Fourth: the original recipe called for 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano and 1/2 cup ricotta. I used one cup of parmesan - I had no ricotta. Also, I used parsley, not chives.

    Voilà.
    Oh - and I miss and love you too...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.