Friday, February 26, 2010

On Lamp Posts

On many a night-time walk, I have been creeped out by lamp posts suddenly turning off when I walked past them or under them. I have always taken this as some kind of sign: my mood must have been so dark or negative, I had surely caused this haze of light to extinguish. I invariably get a shiver down my spine, and try to think happy thoughts all the way to the next lamp post, to avoid turning that one off, too. To date, I have not yet made two turn off in a row. Which surely means my control over my mood is exemplary.

This has happened to me while I was walking with friends, but it has most often happened as I was alone. My most recurring happy thought usually involves Dumbledore and his Deluminator.

Tonight, however, a pleasant surprise: as I tread carefully over the ice on the path between the two buildings leading to my street, I noticed it was unusually dark. I looked up, and thought "Hmm. Burnt-out lamp post bulb." And as I finished thinking that, it turned back on.

I will take it as a sign things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.