Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Want.

The wall is right in front of me, and I have several options.

I could either sit on the ground, with my back against it, attempt to climb it with a ladder of some sort, or just back up a few hundred paces, take a swig of water, get a running start, and jump right over it. Whoosh. Just like that, in one swift motion.

(Damn – I’d look good.)

I like that wall – it’s making me think.

Tired of metaphors, Immense Crowd of Faithful Readers? Okay. So am I.

I’ve been delving into the wonderful endless universe(s) of blogs and have recently discovered a fascination for comics. You know, graphic novels, like. They make me laugh out loud. They make me think. I’m reading V for Vendetta these days. Whew. Good stuff. And with my reddened eyes full of tears, I had a – you know – a eureka moment. Where’s my drum roll?

I could draw my own! (Note to self: staring at a screen for over an hour: not good)

That’s right. I have tons of paper down in my craftycraft room (yessss, Ladies & Gents, I have one of those.) not to mention a table I never sit at. And a good lamp. I have a shoebox full of pens that are, at this point, probably planning a riot, since I never use them. Don’t I have everything I need? What? Technique? Pff. Technique schmechnique. I can doodle.

So you see the wall, now?

Either I:

a) Keep enjoying the warm fuzzy rays of other people’s drawings. Extract the goodness like coconut juice and store it somewhere in my brain. Or;
b) Learn some tricks of the trade. Take some drawing lessons. Talk to the people I know who have drawn for at least as long as I’ve known them (phew – 17 years…). Ooooor;
c) Just. Draw.


I’ll keep you posted and let you know how things turn out. You wanna vote? You can vote, if you want.


http://www.dccomics.com/sites/v_for_vendetta/

4 comments:

  1. Hey Caro.... The 4 of us are coming your way soon.... Watch out for September! I'm accepted at the Masters of Université Laval in Literature.... Moving back in Qc city in August-September. :) Can't wait to see you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lately become a huge comic book nerd as well. It's something I've discovered in my adult life. I was never into them as a kid. Some that I've really enjoyed are:

    The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, Fables, by Bill Willingham, Y: The Last Man (the author's name escapes me), Powers by Bendis and Oeming, The Preacher (also forgetting the author's name), The Watchmen by Alan Moore (anything by Moore tends to be good as does anything by Frank Miller)

    Some of these books include scripts, sample drawings, story line progressions and artist concepts and sketches in the back that you might find helpful if you are thinking of writing your own. It's something I've been mulling over myself.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well?????

    so??????

    do you have some drawings to share?

    ReplyDelete
  4. m&s: Ohhhh finally! I am so glad you guys are coming back! Looking forward to a BBQ hopefully before it gets cold again...

    david: Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely be looking for these works.

    tortaluga: No, sweetie. I have no drawings to share. Sigh. Read my next post to find out why. And also, yay! You're still there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words. They feed my words, hence everybody's happy.